Stop Brett Kavanaugh! The SCOTUS Nominee is Bad For Reproductive Rights
Posted on July 10, 2018
The reality TV president had his big bachelor/rose moment. The nominee got his Norman Rockwell family tableau rollout.
The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT has been made.
But the BIG QUESTION still hasn’t been answered—WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? Because there’s plenty you can do. And must do. And we’re gonna lay it all out for you.
But first of all, who is this guy (and of course it’s a guy—DUH!) who is going to be making such big decisions about what goes on in your uterus?
The most important thing you need to know about Judge Brett Kavanaugh is that his name was on a list that was diligently compiled by far-right entities like the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation—a list of potential justices who would definitely do the bidding of the far right. And the most important thing they want done is the dismantling of Roe v Wade.
A Justice Brett Kavanaugh would do that. That’s the reason he was on the list. That’s the reason the president who PROMISED to ONLY appoint justices who will vote to overturn Roe v Wade picked him.
And his record says he will: last year while serving on the D.C. Circuit court, Kavanaugh wrote a dissent to a decision allowing an immigrant teen in U.S. custody to exercise her abortion rights… something Kavanaugh said was based “on a new constitutional principle as novel as it is wrong.” For the record, it’s based—like Roe v Wade—on the Fourth Amendment.
So it’s clear what’ll happen if Kavanaugh is put on the Court. But what happens now? The nominee will have the opportunity to meet off the record with every Senator 1-on-1. The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold hearings and vote on the nominee. If they vote to confirm, his name goes to full Senate for a vote.
We have a few weeks to stop this—here’s what you can do:
- REACH OUT TO YOUR SENATORS!
- Let them know that a non-answer on Roe is a threat to Roe!
- Some of the most important Senators to contact are possible Republican defections Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.
- Also critical are Democrats who voted for Gorsuch from red states like Indiana, North Dakota, and West Virginia.
- California! It’s important to send letters to Senator Feinstein, who will report the number of letters during hearings on the nomination.
- Write op-eds, organize, and PROTEST!
- Share your abortion stories on social media.
- More details and information is available from the Center for Reproductive Rights.
The most important thing is to contact your Senators. We CAN do this! With Senator McCain probably sidelined, just one vote can make the difference!
This is not something we’re doing to make ourselves feel better. This is something we’re doing to change history. And that’ll make us all feel a LOT better.
All fired up and want somewhere to go?
We create rapid response media to highlight ongoing reproductive rights issues across the US.Read More
Attend an LPJL Event Near You
We hold events and workshops to support providers and activate volunteers.Come See Us
Contribute to the amazing programs we are putting in to action to support clinics daily.Donate